Did you ever hear a noise in your kitchen at night, so you flicked the light on only to see a sudden scattering of large bugs? Hopefully, the answer to this question is no, but if you have, it’s not a sight you’ll soon forget. Finding only one cockroach in your house can be an unsettling experience, and for good reason. Roaches carry and spread dozens of diseases. As spring turns to summer, cockroach season is heating up. Preventing spring and summer cockroach problems in your Delaware home should be one of your top priorities.
Factors That Lead to a Cockroach Infestation
Cockroaches love warm, humid weather, so they’re most active in the summer months. While some are content outside, there are several factors that might bring them into your house.
- First, they may enter your home while scavenging for food. Their decision to stay will depend on if your home provides what they’re looking for.
- Second, they may come inside looking for water. If the weather outside is particularly dry or they can’t find a water source, they might find what they’re looking for if your house has high humidity or any water leaks.
- Third, they may get inside looking for shelter. On particularly hot days, they may want relief from the heat. Similarly, if it’s too rainy or too dry, they may come inside as well.
How to Prevent Spring and Summer Cockroach Problems in Your Delaware Home
By understanding what brings roaches into your home, you can work to prevent them from wanting to come inside. The following tips will help:
- Do not leave food out. Put it in the refrigerator or store it in airtight containers. Do not leave it on the counter or loose in the pantry.
- Clean up crumbs, spills, and messes as soon as they occur.
- Wash or put dirty dishes in the dishwasher after use.
- Sweep and vacuum frequently.
- Keep humidity low in your house. If necessary, use dehumidifiers in more humid rooms, like the bathroom.
- Check for water leaks in places where it might not be obvious right away, like under sinks or in the basement.
- Seal all cracks and gaps around the perimeter of your house to make it difficult for roaches to get inside in the first place.
What to Do if You Have a Roach Problem in Your Delaware Home
If you discover roaches in your home, you’ll need to get them taken care of as quickly as possible to avoid becoming ill. Green Pest Management can save you time, money, and hassle by eliminating your cockroach problem quickly and completely. For information on our roach control services, contact us to learn more.